Posted on December 10, 2021 by Jenae Townsend
Best Free Softphone to Get You Through the Holidays
To start things off, what is a softphone? A softphone is a software-based equivalent to your business desk phone or personal smartphone, and it can send and receive calls on any hardware device running the software. Gone are the days where you had to be chained to your desk to manage your day-to-day.
And with all the available features that desktop and mobile softphone apps provide, it gives businesses more flexibility during the holidays that wouldn’t necessarily be available with just a hosted landline.
Less Desk, More Flex
Nowadays, it is a “virtual” world we live in – with more people working remotely or out in the field, which brings us to our topic at hand: Why your business needs the VirtualPBX Softphone App.
Softphones are ideal for places with multiple locations, those who telecommute, or those rockstar employees who are always on the go. The magic of the VirtualPBX Softphone is this, as long as you have a reliable data connection, there’s no place you can’t remain connected to your VirtualPBX Business Phone System.
That means you can make and receive calls from anywhere in the world from your phone, tablet, or computer. Easy peasy. And with our Flex Plan, you can conveniently download the VirtualPBX Softphone for free.
A massive benefit of utilizing the softphone is it helps maintain employee presence to manage calls effectively. Keeping up with holiday hour changes and employee vacation time can be confusing. Still, the VirtualPBX Softphone App features help sidestep that confusion by allowing you to view the availability of business associates in their network and vice-versa.
Speaking of Features
Besides SMS and Video Conferencing, here are some other neat benefits and add-ons from the VirtualPBX Softphone that can help boost and track holiday communication efficiencies and collaboration.
- HD Calling
- User Presence
- File Sharing
- Team Chat
- Video and Audio Conferencing
- Automatic Conference Summaries
- Automatic Conference Call Recording
Are You Ready?
A good thing about VirtualPBX Softphone is how easy it is to get set up and integrate with your existing hardware. And as an added gift, we have included professional and customized on-hold greetings for FREE with Studio by Snap Recordings. Gear up for this season and prepare for success and beyond by checking out how this best free softphone app can work for you.
Posted on August 12, 2021 by Rachel Anderson
The latest and greatest is now available on the VirtualPBX Softphone for iOS, Android, Windows, and Mac users. Already the VirtualPBX employee favorite device, we’ve made a series of improvements to improve user experience. For those with automatic updates enabled, the below changes are already available to you. Need to download the newest version manually? No problem. Our apps page contains download links and instructions for each platform.
So, What’s New in the VirtualPBX Softphone?
Desktop (Windows and Mac) 6.4.2
- You can now join someone’s conference from the dialer. Type the host’s name and you’ll see multiple options appear – choose their Meeting Room and you’ll enter their conference.
- Changes in the conference (collaboration) toolbar:
- Assign Yourself the Floor
- Mute the Meeting
- Conference Resolution
- Assign Yourself the Floor
- Ability to provision an additional certificate name for a SIP server.
- When auto-upgrading to a newer version, if only one account is found on your device, the account will automatically be selected and only asks your password. This improvement aims to streamline the auto upgrade process for end users.
- Previously a built-in microphone on some Windows laptops appeared in the drop down list, but did not recognize sound. This issue has been resolved for several devices including the HP EliteBook 840 G6, Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga, Lenovo X1 Carbon, and Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen8.
- Ability to assign (and un-assign) the floor to another person in the Participants tab.
There have been improvements to the overall stability and performance, such as:
- A fix for a broken link in file transfer.
- A fix for the chatroom error “Room not available” after the XMPP account reconnected.
- In Preferences, the “Use Native Dialer” option has been removed under Telecom Framework native integration. SIP calls will be made using the VirtualPBX Softphone rather than native dialer.
- A fix for an issue where contact suggestions are not visible on the dialpad while typing. This issue is observed when moving back to the dialer tab from other tabs on version 6.5.1.
- A fix for the voicemail count icon disappearing after declining an incoming call.
- Adjusted the size of the green call button on the dialpad.
Posted on November 7, 2017 by Dan Quick
If you’re anywhere near the Silicon Valley, or if you’ve simply worked anywhere near modern sales teams over the past decade or so, you probably already know that Salesforce’s Dreamforce is this week. For the handful of you who may not be familiar with this annual event, let me assure you, it is kind of a big deal in the tech world. First and foremost, this is the 15th annual Dreamforce and it’s expected to draw crowds that top last year’s record-setting 120,000+ attendees from 83 different countries. Even if a business isn’t relying on Salesforce’s key customer relationship management (CRM) software, it’s difficult to argue that the product isn’t meaningful in the business world when faced with numbers like those.
Cruise Ships, Circus Acts, and U2
No, that isn’t the weirdest Jeopardy! category ever, it’s a reference to some of the wild and outrageous events that have gone down at past Dreamforce events. The fact is that if you’ve been named as the world’s most innovative tech company six times in a row by Forbes Magazine, getting a chance to go all out for your customers and your industry means you really go all out. But more than just a sideshow, Dreamforce is still very much linked to the roots of its relatively humble beginnings. Much like many other tradeshows, this exposition began as a way to unveil products, interact with users, and showcase success stories all to generate new business. One of the biggest aspects and largest draws of Dreamforce and events like it, though, typically has to do with new products and partnerships. Unfortunately for Salesforce, though, we scooped them with our own big news this year about one of our latest and greatest integrations; the Salesforce CRM and VirtualPBX Softphone Integration for Dash!
Combining Two Excellent Systems
When two award-winning and essential platforms like the VirtualPBX Desktop Softphone and Salesforce CRM want to join into a cohesive, singular platform, you can’t just layer them atop each other and call it quits. That’s why our engineers worked to ensure that both systems integrated flawlessly and were intuitive, contributing platforms for each other. Additionally, in proving that for certain collaborations the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, they added new functionality including data visualizations and real-time, one-click calling features as well. VirtualPBX Softphone and Salesforce CRM Integrations are even available for an industry-leading value when they’re paired with Dash Unlimited for endless sales production, too. While this collaboration may not have the glitz and glam of a U2 rock concert, it definitely puts businesses ahead of their competition with speed and efficiency. And that’s definitely something we think is worth celebrating.
Are You Headed to Dreamforce?
Now with the event in full swing, the commotion is already at an all-time high here in San Francisco. Are you in town or are you watching along from home? If so, let us know by reaching out on Twitter or Facebook to let us know what you think so far. Or, if you want to join in on the keynote speakers and some of the festivities, you can also use the live streaming link for Dreamforce and watch along from almost anywhere. Hey, that’s also where you can use our VirtualPBX Desktop Softphone, too! Coincidence? Probably not.
Posted on September 15, 2017 by Dan Quick
With all of the recent havoc that hurricanes have been causing across the United States Gulf Coast, Florida, and the Caribbean, it’s important to take stock of the ways in which we prepare for disasters. Of course, no single effort will protect you from any eventuality, but there has been an increased emphasis on preparations that can be stored indefinitely and relied on in a pinch. Specifically, people are researching more and more how to prepare the ultimate survival pack in the form of an emergency backpack. One thing that needs to be considered when preparing your next emergency backpack, though, is not just how you will escape danger, but how you will manage to live under potential refugee conditions after the worst has past. No single item will possibly prepare you for that scenario more than the VirtualPBX Softphone App.
What Makes the Best Emergency Backpack
Here in the San Francisco Bay Area. We know we live in earthquake territory. That’s why many folks here have kept emergency backpacks or earthquake bags for a while now. But with the recent historically bad flooding and damage caused by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, the idea has become more of a relevant consideration for many more people, as well. Obviously, the most important ingredients of a good survival bag include clean water or water filters, food, warm or dry clothing, batteries, radios, cash and a few other essentials, but here are the reasons why you should never consider your survival pack complete until it has a softphone included it as well.
- It Weighs Nothing That’s right! Unlike your other survival essentials, softphones are completely weightless. How is that, you ask? Because like all cloud-based communications, softphones are totally hosted on the servers of the company that created it and your access to them only depends on a good data connection.
- You’ll Need to Plan on Rebuilding For a While That goes for your office building, too. And unless your business already has a automatic failover system as part of a comprehensive business continuity plan, you’ll be at a loss on how to keep the ball rolling for a while. Using a softphone means that you can keep your office hours from anywhere you happen to be during reconstruction.
- Most Damage Comes During the Days After any Natural Disaster We’re seeing some terrible news come out of Florida as assisted living communities and hospitals scramble to keep their patients safe while there is no power and limited reliability on backup generators that got totally submerged. It’s well documented that many of the deaths from natural disasters come in the days following them for exactly this reason. As a result, you’ll need to anticipate more than how to stay fed and hydrated for an extended period of time, and nothing will help you set-up a semi-permanent shop quite like the peace of mind of knowing you can keep your job performance as high as can be expected under such conditions.
- It’s Free Unlike some other options, the VirtualPBX Softphone App is free to download from the App Store or on Google Play. The use of the app itself is simply billed according to the parameters of the specific VirtualPBX business telephone system that it’s connected to, but it costs the user nothing to acquire as a failsafe in the event of an emergency (or simply as a great way to take work onto the road!).
What’s in Your Survival Pack?
We at VirtualPBX are most interested in the safety and recovery of everyone in the areas affected by the recent storms to hit our shores. And obviously, these tips on survival bags aren’t retroactive so we hope that they aid in helping people prepare themselves now for whatever else is yet to come. With that in mind, what other, nontraditional survival essentials would you include in your emergency backpack? Let us know by chiming in on Twitter or Facebook and we’ll be sure to include them in future editions of how to make the ultimate survival kit. Until then, stay safe, and please keep those affected by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma in your thoughts and prayers.
Posted on August 3, 2017 by Dan Quick
We just got some terrific news from TMC, one of the telecom industry’s most trusted monitors, and we are pleased to share it with you today. The VirtualPBX Desktop Softphone won the 2017 Communications Solutions Product of the Year for 2017! We’re thrilled to have received this prestigious honor from a panel of judges whose experience ranges from all corners of the telecommunications industry over the course of the past few decades. With this type of legitimacy and those impressive credentials, it’s incredibly satisfying and humbling to have been recognized among the dozens of other impressive products that were released in the past twelve months.
VirtualPBX Desktop Softphone and CRM Integration
It makes sense that this is the year that the judges chose to award the VirtualPBX Desktop Softphone with the product of the year, however, because it has undergone some impressive changes so far in 2017. As many of you already learned from either our VirtualPBX New Products Newsletter or by following our Product Roadmap, we recently launched a new collaboration that made the already popular softphone take off to new heights. By introducing the VirtualPBX Desktop Softphone and Salesforce CRM Integration, we’ve empowered sales teams across the globe to leverage their favorite existing software platforms in ways they had never been able to before. With complete data visualizations covering a myriad of call and lead closure and advancement metrics, and by being able to one-click-call directly from the CRM platform they already trust, sales teams are more suitably equipped to never miss a beat in the increasingly hectic world of sales. We’re proud to have done more to not just successfully overlap two of the most integral digital business tools available, but to have made specific adjustments whereby the sum of the parts now are greater than the whole thanks to this integration.
Always More to Come
We’d be lying if we said this wasn’t a hugely significant win for ourselves and our customers, but that’s not what it’s all about, either. Of course the praise and recognition from the industry is special to us, but that’s always just motivation to press our horizons out even further. That said, thank you to everyone who participated in beta testing, contributed to the feature requests on our Product Roadmap, and for everyone else who trusts us to deliver them the very best business communications tools we can. Without you all none of this would be possible. Make sure to stay tuned to the regular channels and on Twitter and Facebook for what is yet to come. We’re looking forward to having you along for the journey!