Using Your Android Mobile Softphone
Instructions here will show you how to use various aspects of your VirtualPBX Mobile Softphone on Android devices. Click any of the following links to jump to an individual section.
Iconography and Virtual Buttons on Your Softphone
- Once you’ve logged into the softphone and applied permissions you will see the dialpad. The following numbers shown in the screenshot correspond to the functions of each icon.
- Return to the dialpad
- View contacts
- Call history
- Texting / IM
- Settings / preferences
Note: Texting/IM features will only work with specific plans and settings. If you are interested in this feature, please contact our Account Services Team.
- A number on the dialpad icon indicates new voicemail
- A number next to call history indicates a missed call
Contacts / Buddy List
- The Contacts screen allows you to import your cell phone contacts into the Softphone app.
Buddies requires an account enabled for IM, please contact our Account Services team to verify your plan includes this. You can use Buddies to quickly send Instant messages to your contacts.
Favorites: You can make a “frequently called” contact a favorite to easily find them here instead of going through your full contacts list
- You can choose to look at your entire call history or just your missed calls
- Tap on the phone icon to call the person back
- Tap on the 3 dots to clear you call history, either entirely or just missed calls
- The top-right menu allows you to clear entries.
SMS Text Messaging
- On the People tab, tap on the + sign to start a new instant message session.
- On the Rooms tab, tapping on the + sign gives you the option to join an existing room or create a new one.
Accessing Preferences Menu, Logging Out, and Closing the App
- Tap on the 3 dots icon to log out of your session or close the app.
- Tap on Preferences to adjust how the app works.
- The Logout option logs you out of the app. The Exit option closes the app.
- Use When Available: allows the softphone to work on your cell phone provider’s mobile data network. Good if you want to check to see if your wi-fi may be causing an issue connecting to VirtualPBX
- All VoIP Calls: allows the app to use your cell phone provider’s mobile data network to make/receive calls. Gives you versatility on where you use the app.
- Toggle Enable IM and Presence: If you wish to remove the Texting/IM icon at the bottom of the screen because you will not use it or do not plan to change your account.