External Storage Delivery: Amazon AWS
VirtualPBX delivers long term storage and complete control of your company’s call recordings, faxes, and/or voicemails through Amazon Web Services (AWS). You may choose to implement this service on just one of these three features or any combination of them. Once delivered to your Amazon S3 account, these files may be kept for any length of time, downloaded for review or processed by other services your company deploys – anywhere, anytime. Please note that as soon as this service is implemented on a feature, the files produced will appear only in AWS. By design and for the intended security benefits, they will not exist in your VirtualPBX account and VirtualPBX team members will not be able to access them.
Pricing and Requirements
While VirtualPBX does not charge for storage on this service, note that Amazon S3 will charge for storage based on usage. Please review Amazon S3 pricing at https://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/.
Your company must have an account in good standing with VirtualPBX and an active AWS account. If you don’t have an AWS account yet, you’ll be prompted to create one when you sign up for Amazon S3. To sign up for Amazon S3:
- Go to https://aws.amazon.com/s3 and click Sign Up.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- AWS will notify you by email when your account is active and available for you to use. Private external storage cannot be enabled until your account is active.
- Contact VirtualPBX Support to enable this feature.
Steps to Setup External Storage with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Sign in to your S3 account.
- Click Create bucket, give it a unique name and choose region, and click block all public access (recommended).
- Under Advanced Settings, you can choose to prevent the content from being deleted or altered for a fixed amount of time or indefinitely.
- Click Create Bucket to see your new bucket in your account.
If the name is rejected it may be because Amazon requires all bucket names to be unique across all customers, not just unique to your instance.
- Select your bucket.
- Click Permissions.
- Click Access Control List, verify that access to bucket owner is set to yes across the board.
Create User Credentials
- Sign into your console URL.
- Select Users > Add User
- Create a username.
- Click Programmatic Access under Access Type.
- If prompted, click Create Group, give it a group name.
- Under Filter Policies, search for S3, select AmazonS3FullAccess.
- Click Create Group.
- Click Add User to Group, then click Next: Tags, add tags if necessary, click Review, verify all the information is correct then click Create user.
- Be sure to document the Access Key ID and Secret Access key, you may also download a CSV for easy reference.
Go back to the S3 website, click View Buckets, click on your new bucket, click on Create and name folders that directly correlate to the Dash configurations you are about to make.
Configuring Storage in Dash (AWS)
- Once AWS Integration is configured the customer may configure Call Recording, Voicemail, and Faxes to be stored on their AWS Account.
- This is done in the Call Recording, Voicemails and Faxes apps, accessible via the menu in the Dashboard.
- Call Recording: Click Call Recording from the dropdown menu in the upper right, then click Storage Settings to configure the application to use AWS. Complete configuration by following the instructions in steps 3-5.
- Voicemail: Click Voicemails from the dropdown menu in the upper right, then click Storage to configure the application to use AWS. Complete configuration by following the instructions in steps 3-5.
- Faxes: Click Faxes from the dropdown menu in the upper right, then click Storage to configure the application to use AWS. Complete configuration by following the instructions in steps 3-5.
Changing the Location of Your Stored Items
- Click on the location you would like to store your items, such as Faxes.
- Click on Storage.
- Click Storage Options.
- Click on AWS logo and then click Use Storage Option.
- Click the gear icon and type in the name of the directories you’d like your specified service to be stored under.
This can be replicated for Call Recording and Voicemails
Files will be stored on the external storage service once this step is completed.